Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No Rest for the Weary

So at last the boy hit the wall last night and he fussed ALL NIGHT LONG! He fussed when I held him, he fussed when I put him in bed. He fussed out the tech who came to weigh him and chewed out the respiratory therapist who gave him his breathing treatment. He was NOT happy. I attempted sleep at midnight and held out until 3am before I just gave up and stood at his crib rubbing his head, singing & talking to him.

It seems some sort of memo had been issued --'Party in room 609' because there were 3 nurses in here in full voice at 4 am to change his trach ties. Why trach ties have to be changed at 4am I'll never know?! At 5 am I again attempted sleep. I achieved some sort of semi-conscious state where I was able to dream and still hear every alarm bell, door opening & closing, doctor & nurse whispering orders etc, etc. But I must have slept at least an hour I'd say.

Then the sun rose right on my head--there is a huge window in here that I love, like a skylight and it blazed down on me reminding me that the day was going on no matter how plum-tuckered-out I was. Wouldn't it be nice if we could put the world on hold--"Sorry, N-E-E-D S-L-E-E-P, let's resume things in 8 hours". Haha, as you can see, sanity is the first thing to go in the sleep deprived ;)

Ok back to the business at hand--how is master Khyle doing? His weight last night was 8.39kg, that is 18 lbs 5 oz. Yes its down a little since Monday but that is quite normal. We have to consider that some of this rapid weight gain is water weight but they say he should balance out in a week. His feeds have increased and so has his liquid intake. He had several well-soaked diapers yesterday & through the night so we are pleased with that. Still hoping to see Dr. Keating, the neurosurgeon responsible for the Cranial surgery to find out whether we are still on for that (next week Wed, June 9th). Will keep eyelids propped open, hope....to....make...it...

Thanks for the prayers, thanks for the love.

No comments: